5 Must-Do Exercises For a Bigger Butt
In case you didn’t know, getting a bigger butt requires increasing two things; your gluteus maximus muscle and the fat on your buttocks. Now before you raid the junk food aisle in your local supermarket, I have to warn you that putting more fat on your butt is only part of the equation. To achieve that firm round booty that you see models sporting, you need another variable to this equation and that is EXERCISE (oh and a good clean diet including foods that make your butt get bigger) and if you want to get a toned butt like I did, I would recommend buying a butt cream too as it surely worked for me.
I know that the sight of that word (exercise) makes you want to run the other way. But I have good news, you don’t need to spend hours everyday at the gym. You can do these exercises at home for 10-20min a few times a week. Pretty much every fitness site under the sun has a zillion exercises to do to help you get bigger butt muscles. But (or should I say butt) it really is just simple, there is only a few that really matter. I will run through some of the most popular and best exercises proven to increase the size and firmness of your booty.
Any experienced personal trainer or fitness fanatic will tell you squats are the king of all butt exercises. No butt exercise regimen is complete with out this exercise. You can do these with a barbell or with dumbbells, its up to.
To do squats with a barbell:
- Place the barbell on your shoulders. Position your feet about shoulder-width apart and with your knees and toes pointing outward.
- When you have positioned yourself correctly begin to lower your body until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Your back should remain straight. Use your glutes and push yourself back into the starting position. It is recommended you do 15 reps with only your body weight to get used to the movement. Once you are confident do 8 reps at a heavy weight.
To do squats with dumbbells:
- Hold 2 dumbbells in your hands and use the same position as described in the previous step 1. Your arms will stay in the same position throughout the whole movement.
- Follow the same execution as previous step 2.
The 2nd must have exercise in your bigger butt exercise arsenal is the deadlift.
- Stand with the bar above the center of your feet, your stance should be a bit more narrow than shoulder-width to give your arms room.
- Grab the bar overhand so your arms are vertical to the floor.
- Bend through your knees until your shins hit the bar which must remain above the middle of your feet. Shoulder-blades directly over the bar.
- Lift your chest but don’t squeeze your shoulder-blades. Just put your shoulders back & down, head inline with rest of your spine.
- Pull the bar up, keep the bar close to your body, roll it over your knees and thighs until your hips and knees are locked. Do not lean back at the top.
3. Front Lunges
Front lunges is 3rd on the list. You can do these with dumbbells or a barbell. Again its what you prefer.
- Stand with your torso upright holding two dumbbells in your hands by your sides or if you’re using a barbel have it placed on your shoulders. This will be your starting position.
- Step forward with your right leg around 2 feet or so from the foot being left stationary behind and lower your upper body down, while keeping the torso upright and maintaining balance. Make sure that you keep your front shin perpendicular to the ground.
- Using mainly the heel of your foot, push up and go back to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement for the recommended amount of repetitions and then perform with the left leg.
4. Donkey Kicks
Number 4 exercise for obtaining that big booty is donkey kicks.
- Keep your right knee at a 90-degree angle as you slowly raise your leg behind you until your thigh is almost parallel to the floor. Push your flexed foot toward the ceiling by squeezing your glutes. Your back should remain perfectly still. The motion should be small and controlled with the glute muscle doing the work.
- Return to start position to complete one rep. Do 20 on each side, two to three times.
If you would like to add some extra resistance to your donkey kicks workout, try loading up the smith machine with some weight and try the donkey kick movement but now try to lift the smith machine bar.
Alternatively you can use the leg extension or hamstring curl machines to add resistance in the same way.
5. Butt Lift (Bridge)
- Lie flat on the floor on your back with the hands by your side and your knees bent. Your feet should be placed around shoulder width. This will be your starting position.
- Pushing mainly with your heels, lift your hips off the floor while keeping your back straight. Breathe out as you perform this part of the motion and hold at the top for a second.
- Slowly go back to the starting position as you breathe in.
Like any workout schedule, the key to seeing the results you want is by staying consistent and most importantly patient. Most women lose motivation after the first 2 weeks. Remember you don’t need to be a gym fanatic to get butt you want. A few days week, 10-20min a session. These exercises are guaranteed to help you in your journey to a bigger booty.